The Blink Of An Eye



It was a quiet Friday night. I entered the diner, the warm light giving me a sense of home. I smiled at Joana, the wavy-haired waitress, as I made my way to my usual booth at the farthest corner from the entrance. It did not have much air-conditioning yet had a clear view of the door and that's how I liked it. I settled in, removed my laptop and placed it onto the red table. Soon, Joana arrived with my usual milkshake, Strawberry with whipped cream and I gave her the same appreciative smile as always.


This had become a daily routine. Sitting alone at home always gave way to my thoughts like the fizz contained in a carbonated drink so I worked here until I started feeling sleepy. All of it, the vibe, the warm yellow light, the red tables with cushioned chairs, Joana at the counter, the little bell ringing at the red door whenever it opened, had all become so familiar that I could comfortably spend an entire night here.

Working on a research paper, I realized that the diner was comparatively very quiet for a Friday night. Suddenly, as if to prove my realization wrong, the bell at the door rang. I blinked. I blinked again. He walked in. He walked in with that perfect face while his slightly brown highlighted hair covered his forehead. His light brown eyes were as affectionate as always, hiding all the pain behind them and his lips were parted in a smile flashing his perfect teeth. My heart stopped, like it does every time I see him.

My gaze followed down to his perfectly sculpted body. He wore a blue shirt with his usual jeans paired with white sneakers and I swear I could smell his scent even though he was so far. Suddenly, I noticed his arm wrapped around the waist of the girl next to him. I felt like a storm was rising inside of me. A storm of emotions and feelings. My heart clenched and it felt like someone was clutching on my throat, I felt suffocated. His eyes connected with mine as I felt tears trying to make way but I suppressed them.

I could not look away from the sight of the boy whom I once knew so well. We had spent almost our entire childhood together. He held my gaze for a little while. I felt a flash of pain and hurt in them when he turned away to look at the girl next to him. He brought his slightly pink lips close to her ears. It was as if I was in a movie. I saw his lips move very slowly as the girl looked at me. A gripping feeling clenched my stomach. He knew a mere sight of him was painful to me and here he was, with his hand across her waist...

I saw him smile at Joana and nod. The girl beside him slipped her fingers into his strong yet soft hands and turned around. I remembered the time our hands used to be intertwined like that, they fit perfectly like we were meant for each other. I felt a sharp pain towards the side of my forehead. The tears tugged harder to find an escape.

Suddenly, I felt my favorite milkshake rise up to my throat and I raced to the small washroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. I could picture him next to me. I could see him smiling down at me, his hand across my waist and smiling with that silly grin of his, threatening to tickle me if I teased him anymore. A place always so comforting and calming turned into a turmoil just because of the sight of one boy. A boy who once meant everything to me and now a complete stranger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Holidays

An Addict.

Earth, a joke?